‘I knew oncology was my passion and I have never looked back’
Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust lead gastrointestinal and lymphoma research nurse Julie Duncan explains her passion for cancer nursing
What does your job involve?
As lead gastrointestinal and lymphoma research nurse for the Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust, I manage a large team of research nurses, specimen coordinators and assistant practitioners across the hospital’s two sites, in Chelsea and Sutton, London.
I split my time between the two teams, ensuring we deliver high-quality care to all patients who embark on clinical trials in the gastrointestinal (GI) and lymphoma unit.
I am responsible for developing the staff, and I work trust-wide on service development in research.
At least once a week I work clinically in a dedicated research clinic for GI and lymphoma patients, assessing toxicities, completing holistic needs assessments and providing support to the trial patients. This enables me to...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Cancer Nursing Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests