NET nurses: supporting patients confused by their rare cancer diagnosis
‘Even healthcare professionals don’t know enough about neuroendocrine cancers,’ says NET Patient Foundation support nurse specialist Nikie Jervis
For patients with very rare neuroendocrine tumours (NET), finally talking to someone who has expert knowledge of their condition can be an enormous relief.
‘I’ve had people burst into tears,’ says Nikie Jervis, a patient information and support nurse specialist with the NET Patient Foundation , a charity set up by nurses and patients.
‘Some say “you don’t know what a difference you’ve made to me because you understand this”. The relief in finding someone who knows is huge. One patient said that without the support, advice and information we’d given her, she wouldn’t be alive.’
‘There is a lot...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Cancer Nursing Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests