‘Never lose sight of the person within your patient’
Advanced nurse practitioner Jane Billing, lead for a urology oncology nurse specialist service, talks about her passion for her job
What is your job?
I am a urology oncology advanced nurse practitioner and lead for the urology oncology nurse specialist service at the Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust.
What does your job involve?
My role involves working independently in nurse-led clinics, supporting patients and their families through their diagnostic and treatment pathway. My extended skills enable me to see patients directly from the GP for assessment, arrange further investigations or undertake their biopsies. I then see them again to give them their results, arrange scans and onward referral, and start them on treatment.
I run several nurse-led clinics – two-week wait one-stop clinics, trans-rectal ultrasound-guided prostate biopsy clinics, day case trans-perineal prostate biopsy lists,...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Cancer Nursing Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests