Career progression for overseas nurses: how to overcome barriers
Racial diversity in senior nurse roles continues to elude the NHS, extensive data show. So it’s no surprise this inequality is affecting nurses recruited abroad
Nurses from minority ethnic backgrounds make up a large proportion of the UK workforce, but evidence continues to suggest they struggle to progress in their careers.
The latest NHS Workforce Race Equality Standard (WRES) report shows that rather than improvements being achieved, the situation is actually getting worse. And this certainly applies to those who trained overseas, many of whom were attracted to the UK by international recruitment campaigns.
In almost all trusts in England (98.6%), staff from a black or minority ethnic background were less likely to believe their employer provides equal opportunities for career
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Learning Disability Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests