Best practice in stoma care for neonates, children and young people
Global Paediatric Stoma Nurses Advisory Board has issued guidelines for stoma care to inform clinicians and help them achieve consistent best practice
According to figures from NHS Digital (2018) , 6,643 colostomy and ileostomy procedures were carried out in England in 2017-18 and 562 of these procedures were performed on patients aged 0-18 years.
Many people are unaware that neonates and children can have stomas, and even fewer recognise the special challenges involved in their stoma care.
Despite the life-changing effect of a colostomy or an ileostomy, particularly in early life, paediatric stoma care is overlooked in clinical research and guidance. As a result, many stoma care nurses who...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Children and Young People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests