Emotional highs and lows in the emergency department: the student experience
As the day draws to a close, I sit in the silence of my room and reflect on the 13.5 hour shift I have just worked.
Few words can conjure up the sheer electricity in the air in the emergency department as the standby phone rings and adrenaline pumps through your veins. Or the heartbreak you feel as you enter resus and come face-to-face with a mum whose world has been shattered.
I felt joy today hearing laughter gurgling out from a cherubic little face, a beautiful baby blissfully unaware of the mayhem that was caused by swallowing a Lego brick.Tears of joy
To be placed as a student in the emergency department is to experience a whirlwind. A typical day simply doesn't exist. Hustle and bustle everywhere you turn, I’ve witnessed tears of sadness mixed with tears of joy....
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Children and Young People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests