When a complaint is made against you: a guide for nurses
It can be incredibly stressful to be the subject of a complaint. If this happens to you, arm yourself with knowledge and find out what to expect at every stage
How frequent are complaints from patients about nurses and what are they commonly about?
More than 170,000 written complaints were made about patient care last year (2020-21) in England alone, according to NHS statistics .
Of the complaints about a specific profession in hospital and community care, 26% related to nurses. This figure is likely to be lower than it should be due to changes during COVID-19 that meant not all data needed to be recorded as normal.
When it comes to
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests