Polio: why it is in the news and how nurses can safeguard children
Nurses should ask people if they and their children have been vaccinated against polio, particularly those from communities with lower rates of vaccination
What is polio and where has it been found?
Polio is a serious infection that is now rare in the UK, due to the vaccination programme.
It is now only found in a few countries worldwide and the chances of getting it in the UK are extremely low, according to the NHS .
Why has there been recent concern about polio in the UK?
Over the past four months the polio virus has been
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Primary Health Care
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests