My job: Macmillan hepato-pancreato-biliary clinical nurse specialist
Vicki Stevenson-Hornby on being an advocate for a specialist cancer patient group
What is your job?
I am a Macmillan hepato-pancreato-biliary (HPB) clinical nurse specialist at Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust. My role involves working with patients and families affected by malignancy of HPB origin.
What does your job involve?
I work with patients and families with a suspicion or confirmation of malignancy of HPB origin. In the past 18 months, I have successfully devised and implemented the nurse-led accelerated jaundice pathway, which is aimed at achieving earlier diagnosis for patients with HPB malignancy with the intention of more patients being eligible for surgical intervention.
Why did you become a nurse?
Nursing is the only job I ever wanted to do. At the age of nine, I wrote to Macmillan to tell them I wanted...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Cancer Nursing Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests