Bravo to author of article about ageism and its implications for nursing practice
Nursing student is a role model of inclusive attitudes and behaviours
Independent nurse consultant Gwyn Grout writes:
I want to thank nursing student Charlie Banister for her article The effect of ageism on older people and implications for nursing practice .
I have long been an advocate of the inclusive attitudes and behaviours Ms Banister embraces, role models and encourages. Sadly, as I get older and my hair is grey, I now have early experience as a recipient of ageism. I have been offended by being offered seats on public transport and noted an increase in ‘elderspeak’ towards me. It is infuriating, insulting and potentially damaging to my perception of self. My answer is to consider colouring my hair again. Ageism should not drive me to...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Older People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests