How nutrition can help prevent and treat pressure ulcers
A balanced diet and good hydration are vital for patients to maintain robust and healthy skin
- Almost one in ten people in hospital have pressure ulcers, an audit of 10,000 inpatients in England in 2019 found
- Identification of malnourished individuals can prevent pressure ulcer development and speed up wound healing
- Why nutritional assessment should be a routine part of risk assessment for pressure ulcers
Nearly one in ten (9%) hospital inpatients had one or more pressure ulcers, according to a major audit in England in 2019 involving 10,000 people .
The figures serve to highlight the vast number of people affected by these potentially serious, painful, and
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests