A CPD article improved Robin Hooks’s knowledge of how to use the ABCDE approach to assess a deteriorating patient
What was the nature of the CPD activity, practice-related feedback and/or event and/or experience in your practice?
The article outlined the ABCDE (assessment, breathing, circulation, disability, exposure) approach to assessing a deteriorating patient, explaining the actions that healthcare practitioners should undertake.
What did you learn from the CPD activity, feedback and/or event and/or experience in your practice?
The article stated that the first component of the ABCDE approach involves assessing the patient’s airway. For instance, the airway may become compromised as a result of central nervous system depression, which can be improved by using the head tilt-chin lift manoeuvre or an airway adjunct. Suction can be used to clear any fluids or secretions obstructing the airway.
In the second...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests