Difficult placements: coping with a hostile practice assessor
What to do if you feel unsupported, face undermining comments or risk not qualifying due to placement problems. One student’s experiences, plus where to seek help
As a final-year nursing student with only a few weeks left to get my proficiencies signed off, I am facing the possibility that I may not pass my last placement to qualify on time.
I have finished all my academic assignments and passed my exams, but I am finding my current placement extremely difficult; I feel out of my depth and am struggling.
Hostile reception has caused stress and anxiety
My first choice for my final placement was not granted, and I am in an area of practice that I have not experienced
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Children and Young People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests