Diversity and dementia care: supporting hard-to-reach communities
How an Admiral nurse from a Traveller background addresses the challenges to engagement, as well as the discrimination those in the community can face
Although she is part of the Traveller community, for many years dementia nurse specialist Cheryl Scarrott chose not to share this information publicly.
‘It’s only been in recent years that I’ve discussed it openly,’ she says, adding that now she feels much more able to be transparent. ‘As you get older, you become more confident in your own skin,’ says Ms Scarrott, who has worked as an Admiral Nurse at Shropshire Community Health NHS Trust since 2019.
Challenging discrimination in a privileged positionCheryl Scarrott
‘I spent time with my family on caravan sites when
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests